Friday, September 13, 2013

There are two days of the week about which I never worry. . . .

Taken from "Just Thoughts of a Plain Country Woman"  December 29, 1946. 
 
"There are two days of the week about which I never worry.
 One of these is yesterday; with all its pains and aches, all its faults
and blunders, it has passed forever beyond my recall. .1 cannot
undo an act I wrought; I cannot unsay a word that I said on
yesterday. All that it holds of my life, of the wrongs, regrets and
sorrow, is in the hands of the Mighty Love that can bring honey
out of the rock and sweet waters out of the bitterest desert. Save
for the beautiful memories, sweet and tender, that linger like the
perfume of roses in the heart,  the dais gone, I have nothing to do with yesterday.
 
It was mine; It is God's.
 
And the other day I do not worry about is tomorrow with all its possibilities, its burdens, its perils, its large promise and poor performances, failures and mistakes.  It is as far beyond the reach of my mastery as its dear sister, yesterday.
 
Tomorrow --  it is God's day. It will be mine.
 
There is left for myself, then, but one day of the week  -  today.
Any man can fight the battles of today. Any woman can carry
the burdens of just one day.
 
It is the remorse for something that happened yesterday, the dread of what is tomorrow will disclose that drives men mad. These are God's days.  Leave them with Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment